New Zealand Adventures

Monday, March 21, 2011

And It All Comes to an End

Well guys and gals, this is it, my last week...at Pomaria :) He he, hoped I would have tricked you. No, we lucky BYU Princesses as JJ likes to call us, are going to travel more of this beautiful country and head up North for a week and then it really will be over. But for now Miss Mills is stressed. Kara is right I really do need to live with Hakuna Matata not only in NZ but in the USA too. Knowing me though, it's going to take a life time and perhaps longer for me ever to slow down and have no worries. At least I'm getting a little closer because of the laid back atmosphere here.

The reason why I am so stressed is that this is the last week for all assignments to be completed, and yes, I shouldn't be blogging, or watching Boy Meets World with Kara, but I've been at school all day, then planning lessons and reading for my online class, and I am just done. JJ still has a paper for me to write, and I need to get that finalized, and a final project started, but I'm ready to call it a night. Today also wasn't the most emotionally happy day-the students were mocking me, and I know I shouldn't care, but when I saw one of my favorite students pretending to be a mean teacher (and Mrs. Scott and I assumed she was mocking me), it hurt just a little. I almost broke down in class, but I remembered that I am going to be a lead teacher soon and there is no room or time for me to walk out on a class then, so why now? After having a little chit chat with her, and two other boys who weren't showing the most respect, it got a little better. I think reminding the kids I loved and respected them, and oh yeah, tearing up, really got to them. No, we aren't friends, but we should respect each other. Actually, after that chat, we had fun starting self-portraits and then playing a variation of Monkey in the Middle. Yes, I was the monkey (or the bad lady who took the ball away if a student didn't pass it on fast enough). It was so fun! I loved hearing their squeals, and pretending to grab the ball from them, but I wasn't fast enough because they passed it in the nick of time :) So, the ending of the school day made the beginning worth it.

I'll miss the kiddies, especially their goodbye hugs and pictures. Already I got some coming up to me saying, "Miss, I'll miss you when you go back to your country." That's what is so precious, and that is one of the things that makes teaching worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that that day wasn't emotionally so good! It is hard when the kids you teach don't show respect, but you were smart to remember that you are there to be their best teacher and not their best friend. Good job girl. Love you tons.

    ReplyDelete