New Zealand Adventures

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Get-Together at Julie's


Phyllis (Christine and Jessica's host mom), Christine, Becca, Neeley, and Nicole enjoying the food


Dr. Jacobs and Linda



















Today all of us girls met up at Whitney and Emily's host family's house. Our host was Julie, and she is my dad's mom! It's so funny how there are so many people related here in the community, at least in the Mormon culture. I love the family feel of New Zealand and how family and friends gather together daily for big feeds and get-togethers. Tonight was one of those experiences. At school a few days ago Whitney and Emily invited all of us (16 girls) to come for a pizza/pasta party night and invite our families if they wanted to come. Monique was gracious enough to come with Mosiah and Mini, drive us, and get food for the occasion. She was so friendly and I admire her so much in social situations. I love how warm she is to everyone and how she will stop to chat for a good 10 minutes with any friend. She reminds me a lot of my Grandma Parker in that way.

The food was delicious, the company was great, and there was laughter all around. I must say, it was a very loud party (mostly because there was 16 American young women), but that is what makes an event fun! Also, I got to know Linda, Dr. J's wife a little better and we talked about facing fears and not giving up on tasks. Monique told me that she admired my persistence and that meant so much to me! I actually was really happy today because I know that if I keep trying and giving my best with the bike, teaching, relationships, and all other aspects of my life, then I will succeed. Yes, there will be failures, but ultimately, I will succeed. New Zealand is such a wonderful place, and what I love the most is when I start to get stressed or fearful (happens a lot still), the calm balmy breeze kicks in and it calms my nerves down. The Kiwi way is wonderful-go with the flow and be happy. It's definitely going to take more than 3 months to get that down, but I can start here.


Only bad news is that my camera may have died, which I really hope that it starts working again (I think sand got in it from the day at the beach), because this Saturday all of us girls are meeting up at Katie and Becca's house to go on a bus up to Mission Bay. There will be hiking, beaches, kayaking, and shops, which I would love to document, so let's hope all works out so I can put those pictures up. But for now, enjoy the pictures :) Good news, my ingrown toenail is healing really well and not hurting!! Yay!!!
All of us with Dr. J

XOXO,
Allie

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! Get a new camera if you have to! The pictures are an absolute must!!!

    I'm glad to hear you had a great time and your toenail's going to be okay. It looks as if you have a lot of great people in your group, too.

    ReplyDelete