New Zealand Adventures

Monday, January 24, 2011

Social Studies, Science, and FHE


For science today we were doing investigating the power of air and if it could hold a lot of weight-and guess what-IT DID!! I didn't get the picture but at one time 4 balloons were able to hold up 10 girls on a table before one of them popped. And what is amazing for me today is that I blew my first balloon! It was so exciting :)


We were at Kerry and his wife's house for FHE tonight with all the girls and our families-this is Kerry's daughter Alexis, Christine is holding her, and Hannah is smiling beautifully.

Nancy and I


Hannah, Nancy, and Kara


Neeley and Christine lounging at FHE

It was a really fun evening with lots of good food, and as Monique said, HEAPS of loud girls. She commented that we are so loud when we are together-which I know I don't help with that, ha ha. It was a good ending to a long and tiring day. Not that Social Studies or Science is bad, but they are just long and lots more lecture than math was. I am learning though that it is important to keep the sense of wonder in kids as they study the sciences, and to incorporate a balance of orientations to teach social studies.

My favorite quote from science class today was, "Wisdom begins in wonder." ~Socrates
Our professor, Ian Milne told us that we should love the wonder and curiosity children bring to the classroom instead of ignore it. Also in Social Studies we read an article about the democratic classroom, and while a lot of it was a bunch of feminist rif raf, there was some truth in it about how adults don't treat children with respect. Most of the time teachers, and I am guilty of this, parrot our student's responses, so that everyone else can hear it, but really, we should let them speak up so they have a voice. Most likely the reasons kids hate answering in class is because they are used to be parroted, so they don't have a voice for themselves. As a teacher I want to end that, and I'm going to try really hard this practicum to let the students say their answers and for me to just nod, but not parrot. Anyway, that was what I gleaned a lot from today's classes.

Also, I have been a little more lonely today and feeling that friends are far, but Dr. J's wife, Linda was just what I needed, she listened and comforted, which is actually what I was praying for a little earlier today. I am so grateful for the adults in my life, who respect me and want the best for me. I hope to be like them as I grow older, and I better start now, because apparently I am an adult (though Dr. J joked I was halfway in between), he he.

4 comments:

  1. I love that Socrates quote! And I also love what you said about giving kids a voice. It's something you don't really think about, but probably makes a big difference.

    I love reading about your adventures and learning, Allison!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll have to be sure and re-read your blog in a few months just before you start teaching back in Utah to remind yourself of all these wonderful things you're learning. It's great that you'll have an opportunity to give them a try there in New Zealand.

    Everyone's asking about you here in Southern California. And they can't wait to talk with you this weekend. (You can always reach out earlier, too, if you find me online and need to talk.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Allison, Gi Gi here.....wow it is great having your Mom visit and the frosting on the cake is getting to see your BLOG....which she is just now showing me. You look great, you sound great, and so happy you are adjusting to the down/under place
    Anxious to see you when your Mom brings you UP from Down Under ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Mommy! I'll have to re-read it for sure, because there are some amazing things I am learning that I don't think would be the same in Utah-of course there are things I am missing in Utah too, but this is a wonderful education. My next blog shows that too. I can't wait to talk to them too! I love you Grandma!! I am doing great and when it is hard, I think of you honestly :) I love you both! And Catherine, I love you so much and am so grateful for your support and advice, it makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete