New Zealand Adventures

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

I love Auckland!


Me looking at the dye dissolving off the M&M's-hmm fascinating science!


Me and my Yellow Balloon


Funny Face


Mini is funny!











Far left:
Mini and her head-dress (I made the cup and string as part of a science activity)
Middle:
Telephone
Bottom Right:
Mini and the long string (it made a fun noise when you ran wet fingers over it)

Kara and Anna

What happens when two M&M's dissolve together and Anna sad that our balloons didn't inflate right :(



Today was a really fun day! In science we did more experiments with balloons and air as we explored the physical world, but really, I learned the most in social studies. Today we talked about promoting social change, and it really got me thinking about how I could be doing so much more to help those who are less fortunate. Our teacher has a very effective way of teaching us too-she had us start out by dividing up M&M's based on different categories, such as how much of the world is literate v. illiterate, who uses up the most oil, etc. and I realized that I really don't appreciate how much I have as an American citizen-the food, shelter, family, books, education, friends, comforts, that so many people do not enjoy. Surprising though, most people are literate, which is really good; however, that doesn't mean they are happy. I am so lucky to be born where I am, to have the gospel in my life, the friends and family that surround me, and the education I can pursue at hardly any cost. That means the way I can give back to my world is by teaching my students about the current events that surround them and may be silenced, such as child labor, poverty, and fair trade.

I learned about one boy Iqbal who at 12 years old was murdered because he fought against the injustice he had at home. When he was younger he was sold into child slavery and made to work on carpets and luckily he escaped the harsh conditions, but after traveling from Pakistan to America and Europe and teaching other children about the injustice against so many, he returned back to Pakistan and was shot. So many have responded to his legacy (he died in 1994) and I was inspired to start to help more. I remember when I was 15 and did a project on the refugee camps in Chad due to the genocide in Sudan, and while I was so angry at what was happening, I never did anything about my anger, didn't even donate money to Sudan. Well, I am going to be better and be the teacher I admire-one who has courage and does something for others. I am also going to research more about the world around me (Mom you remind me to do this, ok!)

Alright, that is the heavy stuff, the fun stuff happened after school. Yes, a little bit of homework, but I liked it because it was preparing to teach a science lesson and then looking up helpful sites for teaching social studies. Then I practiced on the bike (epic fail) but I am going to try again tomorrow and not be so scared when I actually start moving. Afterwards I went with Monique, Mini, and Raven to Sara's house (Monique's sister) for Giselle's 1st birthday. She is the cutest baby. Sara thinks I am hilarious because I say "Giselle" like how the Prince does in Enchanted, but apparently Sara doesn't know that-I should probably tell her my silliness stems from a movie ha ha. Well, we were all laughing, eating pizza and cake, and just having a merry time. Monique made me tell stories and she kept laughing at my laugh and how funny I am; over and over she said, "Allie, you are so funny!" I would laugh and think, "Dang, I didn't know I was this funny, nobody in America ever said anything!" I love New Zealanders, they are so loving and honest and full of laughter. Also, I love how the kids stare at me, but they love to smile and talk to me. Another thing I love is that so many people ask if I am alright and just show a genuine care for me, like Brother Joseph (the Fitzsumano's builder) and Damion (Sara's partner). They all make me feel so loved. I am a very lucky girl to be here.

Enjoy the pictures from science class a few days earlier and today (one is when we did an experiment with M&M's-learning about the material world) and also the pictures of me and Mini as we watched the stars and had a fun time laughing together. Children really are full of wonder and have so much imagination that we just need to embrace.

No comments:

Post a Comment