New Zealand Adventures

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Cast Not Away Therefore Thy Confidence

I was reading and came across this wonderful quote from Elder Jeffrey R. Holland from his talk entitled, "Cast Not Away Therefore Thy Confidence."
"Opposition turns up almost anyplace something good has happened. It can happen when you are trying to get an education. It can hit you after your first month in your new mission field. Itcertainly happens in matters of love and marriage. . . . There are cautions and considerations to make, but once there has been genuine illumination, beware the temptation to retreat from a good thing. If it was right when you prayed about it and trusted it and lived for it, it is right now. Don’t give up when the pressure mounts. . . . Face your doubts. Master your fears. ‘Cast not away therefore your confidence.’ Stay the course and see the beauty of life unfold for you.”

I love this quote especially as I am about to embark on another practicum in less than 12 hours from now. It is so true that the doubts and fear (which I realized is a form of pride) come when we have just started our education or any worthy thing, and then get an answer about the education, person, or thing. I know that teaching is a good thing for me and I have felt the need to pursue it as a career, and that I should do the internship. Yes, the internship will be more demanding and a lot more work than student teaching, but once I have got the illumination as it says in this quote, I can't let the doubts overtake me. Truly, I must master my fears and keep a hold of this good thing.

For those of you who are interested here is the full talk's address by Elder Holland:
http://lds.org/ensign/2000/03/cast-not-away-therefore-your-confidence?lang=eng

1 comment: