New Zealand Adventures

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Dinner at the Tikenmano's

Today during church Sal and Leon Tikenmano, the YSA spiritual parents, invited us over for dinner. They have 4 children, one just a 3 week old newborn named Abigail. The moment we walked through their gate at 5:30 pm, one of their sons told his sister to look at us and how funny we looked (probably because we are Pakeha/White and not Kiwi). Then we walked through the door to Sal and Leon getting ready for dinner, and immediately, three of their kids, ran up to us, told us who they were, and wanted us to play. Their oldest, Hiona, took to me quickly and kept asking me to go to her room, so of course I obliged. As we get to her room, her brothers Ethan and Sheldon come in to, but Sheldon, this cute 2-year-old loved Kara and just kept cuddling with her, so I was entertained by Ethan and Hiona.

As soon as we got into Hiona's room she wanted to play with my hair. Payback time Miss Allie-all the times I bugged my babysitter's to let me play with their pretty hair is coming back to haunt me. I think it's fun though, but after a while, Hiona was just fiddling and my hunger was almost to breaking point, so I told her just to pull it back. Also, little Ethan kept on talking to me, so I was trying to juggle talking to two energetic kids who want their individual attention. Ethan was a hoot-talking so loudly and using the best articulation (he used all the sounds perfectly in ship for example, and for a 4-year-old that was impressive). Hiona was a natural beautician: she did mine and Kara's hair pretty well, and she even painted my fingernails and got them perfectly-I could never do what she does and so well on the nails at 6! What a great talent-I was so proud of her.

Dinner was yummy with noodles, steak, potatoes and hard boiled eggs, chicken legs, and yummy juice. And dessert was divine! I will have to make it when I get home for summer because it is a popular Kiwi summer fruit and marshmellowy delicacy. I'll have to make it for my family, and maybe one lucky boy :), if there are any around ha ha. After dinner was more play and dancing and swinging around with Ethan, Hiona, and a little bit with Sheldon. I'll say-kids can go forever! It was fun but I got so sweaty-it was a hot Sunday and New Zealand heat is more intense than the states due to the lack of the ozone layer. Sunblock has really become a constant companion, especially for my halo spot.

Kara and I ended the night with prayers and goodnight kisses to the darlings, and then talking with Sal and Leon and their friend. It was such a joy to be there, see their newest daughter and watch them interact with their children. Just seeing a beautiful, gospel-centered family was amazing and it made me want to be a mother and wife so badly. No matter how hard it will get and the times that I won't feel prepared or good at being a mother, the moments I saw at the Tikenmano's house inspire me to fight and work harder towards creating an eternal home, once I find that amazing eternal companion. I know he is out there, and that he is wonderful. I really needed the time at our neighbor's house because I was concentrating too much on how everyone it seems back in Provo is dating and getting engaged or pregnant (which of course, most aren't), and how lame I am without any of that in New Zealand. Then after being with the Tikenmano's I thought, "Allie, you are in New Zealand, what could be better?!" This is my last time to really be a child and explore on my own before I head out into the professional world of teaching, so I best be enjoying it.

How glad I am that I was able to have this experience-it really has been one of the best weekends.

No comments:

Post a Comment