New Zealand Adventures

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Fun in the Sun


Enjoying the chilly waterfall in our matching swimsuits :)

Kara and I swimming back to shore with a duck as a friend (Steph, I thought you would appreciate this, he he)


Beautiful waterfall!


Aww, what a pair of matching beauties


One of the views from a top of a hill by Honeymoon Cove


Honeymoon Cove!


James helping me across (I was very nervous about the rocks and the unequal footing, so it was hard to trust anybody, but I learned that when I put my trust in those who have a firmer foot and clearer judgment not based on fear, I will be safer)


Some of the girls


We hiked from the tipy-top of that hill all the way down to the cars at the base of Piha beach. Definitely the wilderness adventure



Running away from the water that was coming through the opening-I shouldn't have though because 10 minutes later my capris were soaked to the knee :)


Nature's glory! Beware of the undertones-luckily I didn't get caught this time

Today was a great day: went with JJ, Linda, James, and the girls to Piha beach to hike to Honeymoon cove, went rock climbing up to the top of some of the scenic lookouts, then went to a beach near Piha (I can't remember the name), got wet and swam in the strong current which was really fun but tasted so salty :), and then went on a short hike to a waterfall and took some beautiful pictures. After that was some shopping with Emily, Nicole, Nancy, and Linda and we all got some jewelry and other souvenirs. I got a cute silver ring and a beautiful green glass necklace, that I will wear in future times and show pictures of. Little did Nicole though that we had more surprises for her and we all surprised her with a birthday party in honor of her 21st. Anna and Nancy also had their 21st birthdays in February too, so it was a celebration of triplets in the Talamaivaos (Nicole and Neeley's parents here in New Zealand). The reason for the huge celebration of a large pink fluffy cake, lots of food, and presents was because in New Zealand the 21st birthday is a rite of passage for the child to become a grown up. The child is given a key to the house so they can come and go whenever they want, and it really is the start of their independence. Really cool! As guests, we all got goody bags, and I was given the cutest sheep figurine I can't wait to take home :) It was a fun Saturday full of adventure and it was hard for me on the uneven ground (for all those who know me, you know how I am with uneven surfaces and what timidity I have with them), but with the patience of the girls, James's help across the rocks to get to Honeymoon Cove, and sheer determination, I made it through the wilderness :) (Literally, there were some wilderness trails around Piha that were so cool to walk through).

No comments:

Post a Comment